Monday, April 07, 2008

what a weekend.

I was corridor marshal-ing at the AMC (Australian Medical Council) clinical examination for foreign trained doctors. It was a full day thing and I earned 160 bucks from it, just from directing people from one place to another. You have no idea how difficult it was to 'follow the red line on the ground to the next station'.

Many stranded and panicky doctors, to say the least.

Lucky Daphne was there to rescue them from the possible plight of getting lost in the middle of a clinical examination. te he he.

During the rest stations, I asked the candidates where they were from originally AND where they are working at the moment. The candidates are from anywhere and everywhere.. India (mostly), China, Malaysia, Singapore, Nepal, Germany, Argentina... so varied. Yet when they sit for an exam, it's uncanny how similar their reaction and behaviour can be.

Getting jumpy when the bell goes off, concentrating hard as one reads the question stuck firmly on the wall, knocking politely on entering the door. Even as a bystander, I could sense how stressful the atmosphere was. Understandably of course, I always feel the same before my dreaded OSCE.

Anyhow, it was quite an interesting day as I get to be in the setting of an examination from a different perspective. I got to read the questions and I wandered from station to station without much stress or anxiety in me. I knew some of the examiners and role players, everyone was chatting endlessly during lunch. It was really good. :)

Hopefully I get to do it again in September as a role player. It would be fun me thinks. :)

No comments: