Thursday, January 26, 2006

my 1st carbuncle

carbuncle: painful swelling of the skin caused by deep skin infection with bacteria. It begins as a red, tender swelling, which later ooze pus if left untreated.

alright, to put it into perspective - a carbuncle is not just a boil. it's the king of boils. imagine a melon scoop digging out a scoopful of flesh from your skin. yeap. that's how deep and massive a carbuncle is.

The girl came in for a repeat cleaning of her carbuncle. forceps, sterile cotton balls soaked in alcohol, gloves, paper towels, gauze with antibiotic ointment - the works.

before i could pull away the curtain to one side, her screams have already penetrated the walls of the room. but it soon quieten down to a noisy and tearful cry.. "stop, wait...ouch..oowww..." i didn't think much of her cry until i saw the reality of her condition, taking a mental shot with the camera in my mind.

The nurse prompted me to put on my gloves and assist the doctor. the cold, stainless steel bowl had about 15 cotton balls, swimming about in the sea of bluish tinted alcohol.

"Look Daphne, this is what you do with the cotton ball", the doctor instructed.

He lifted one cotton ball with the forceps and proceded to cleaning the carbuncle by stuffing the entire cotton ball into it, and pushing it onto all sides, ensuring a complete extermination of anything that is nasty. The alcohol from the cotton ball oozed out and mixed with the fresh crimson colour of blood. When the cotton ball was lifted out moments later, it lost its bluish tinge but instead gained a musky red stain.

I looked on with this frozen expression, not very sure if i looked competent enough. Even though I was merely going to repeat his actions.


I struggled with the forceps, I took a while to hold it firmly with my finger. It could be because I am a left-hander.. but I suspected that it was due to the fact that i was trembling. I picked up one cotton ball and tried pushing it into the deep hole in front of me.

No, it was not going in if I don't apply any force.

"Shit........"

I really didn't want to hurt the poor girl.


"Do what you have to do, Daphne. She will not get better if we don't clean it thoroughly for her", the doctor encouraged. Somehow or another, I found some guts within myself.

5 cotton balls were used.







No comments: