Monday, October 10, 2005

been blog surfing for abit tonight and apparently blogging about your favourite childhood food is the latest thing. so i shall share with you guys what i grew up eating. no surprise why im this size right now. haha.

1. sweet sticky glutinous rice.

my late grandpapa used to make this for us. it was simple, really. just cooking glutinous rice and adding orange coloured sugar to it to sweeten it. and wah la! you get this sweet porridge thing. i used to love it to bits. my cousins and i fighting to get a larger serve.

2. fish porridge.

fish porridge fills me up, makes me happy and is healthy! i still love it now, but i only like the teochew style ones. good solid fish slices, with seaweed and garnishes. in a bowl with rice and good fish soup. slurp. perfecto.

3. agar agar

i havent had this in a million years. but my mum used to make agar agar from scratch using the seaweed. and there was never fruits in it. just rose flavouring and sugar. and my mum always had the habit of adding lesser than normal amounts of water. so my agar agar was chewy and crunchy. i bet you if i threw it in your face you might get hurt. very simple but it was the best solution to a hot humid day. better than ice cream or coke anytime.

4. ginko nut and dried longan soup.

notice i did not mention lotus seeds. coz i do not like them. ginko nuts... i can eat a million and not get sick of it. dessert soup chinese style. so refreshing. whether it's my mum's or grandma's version, i just love it. till now, whenever i am back home in singapore, i always demand for some to be cooked!

5. jam and margarine on toast with milo

my grandpa used to make it for breakfast for me. he would toast the bread till the slices were crispy and brown. and spread a generous amount of jam and margarine on them. and he used to make the milo and put extra sugar in it too. so it was a glucose loaded breakfast. no wonder i was a hyper kid. haha.

realised how most of the food were prepared by my mum or grandparents? i suppose that was how they showed their love towards me. sometimes when i make these dishes for myself now, i recall about my wonderful childhood. so sheltered from the truths of the world.

and if i ever have children, i will make sure that i will cook and make nice dishes for them. afterall, smell and sight is a stronger tool to imprint memory onto your brain cells.

No comments: